Admission Information for Degree-Seeking International Students
After selecting the University of Tennessee, Knoxville as your destination to earn your BSSW, MSSW, DSW or PhD, applying to the University is the next step. It's important to meet admissions criteria and abide by admission deadlines to ensure you receive your immigration paperwork. Visit the International Admissions website for complete details.
Priority applications are accepted from September 1st to February 1st (for the following academic year). Applications will be accepted after the February 1st deadline as space allows. Please be sure to submit all application materials as soon as possible to secure your space.
- Submit the following items directly to the Office of Graduate and International Admissions:
- Graduate Admissions Application - apply online at http://graduateadmissions.utk.edu/
- Application Fee ($60.00) - pay online when you submit your Graduate Admissions application.
- Transcripts from each institution you have previously attended. Scanned versions of official transcripts of all prior undergraduate and graduate coursework must be uploaded with the online application. If you have attended the University of Tennessee, Knoxville your UT transcripts will already be on file. If your academic documents are not in English, they must be accompanied by a certified translation. Notarized copies are not considered official. Individuals with degrees from foreign institutions must have earned a minimum of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale on all undergraduate work and a minimum of 3.5 on a 4.0 scale on all graduate work.
- Current scores from the GRE General Exam (for those who choose to submit scores - GRE scores are not required). Please use institution code 1843 to have your scores sent to UT.
- Scores from Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) if native language is not English. Passing marks are 550, 213, 80, and 6.5 for paper-based, computer-based, internet-based (iBT) TOEFL, and IELTS respectively. Official scores must be received directly from the appropriate testing service. The institution code for UTK is 1843. Using this code will ensure that your TOEFL scores are sent to the appropriate location.
- Documented evidence of financial resources sufficient to support the student for 12 months of study. The documentation form will be emailed to you with your confirmation after you submit the online application. Students wishing to bring dependents into the U.S. must fill out an I-20/DS-2019 request form for the dependent and a financial statement form showing the source of the additional required funds.
- Professional Statement - you must upload your professional statement with the online application.
- Three (3) MSSW Reference Evaluation Forms - must be submitted directly to the MSSW Admissions Office at the address below:
College of Social Work
Office of MSSW Admissions and Student Records
201 Henson Hall, Knoxville, TN 37996-3333
The College of Social Work administers a limited number of scholarships and graduate assistantships. Academic achievement and/or financial need is considered in the selection of recipients, and the criteria depend on the individual award. Further information is provided to applicants upon admission to the program. Students who have been admitted to the MSSW program may also be considered for several Graduate School Fellowships and various Graduate Assistantship positions across campus.
International students who are enrolled at UTK are required to have health insurance. As a result of this requirement, international students are automatically enrolled in the UTK’s sponsored health plan and their student account (VolExpress account) is charged for this insurance at the time of enrollment.
The University no longer offers housing that is specifically designated for graduate students, but International Students do have the option to live in UTK housing, including apartment style residence halls. However, please keep in mind that admission to the University does not guarantee housing in the residence halls. Once students are admitted to the University they will receive a housing contract by email.
Please see http://international.utk.edu/isss/faq/ for questions regarding Student VISA's.
Frequently Asked Questions
Answers to some of the most commonly asked admission and application questions can also be found on our website: MSSW Application Information