University of Tennessee, Knoxville Application & Admission
Students must apply to, and be accepted to, the University of Tennessee, Knoxville as well as the College of Social Work. A description of admission requirements for graduate admission to the University of Tennessee can be obtained from: https://gradschool.utk.edu/admissions/applying-to-graduate-school/
Priority MSSW applications are accepted from October 1 to February 1 each year (following academic year that begins in August). Applications will be accepted after the February 1 deadline only as space allows. Please be sure to submit all application materials as soon as possible to secure your space.
College of Social Work Admission Requirements
Admission to the MSSW program is based on the following requirements:
- A bachelor's degree from a college or university accredited by the appropriate regional accrediting agency or foreign equivalent.
- Preparation in the social sciences (at least three-fourths of the undergraduate work should be in the social sciences, humanities, physical sciences, and other liberal arts subjects).
- A liberal arts perspective with course work from at least four of these five areas:
- economics or mathematics
- government, political science, or history
- sociology or anthropology
- philosophy, literature, or the arts
- U.S. degree holders must have a minimum GPA of 2.7 out of a possible 4.0 on all undergraduate work and a minimum GPA of 3.0 out of a possible 4.0 on all previous graduate work. Individuals with degrees from foreign institutions must have a minimum of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale on all undergraduate work and a minimum of 3.3 on a 4.0 scale on all previous graduate work. All applicants applying for admission to the Advanced Standing program must have a cumulative undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or higher.
- Personal qualifications acceptable for entrance into the professional practice of social work.
- GRE scores are not required for admission to the MSSW program
Preference is given to applicants with a 3.0 cumulative GPA or above in their undergraduate work and with substantial preparation in the social sciences.
Note: The College of Social Work does not offer spring admission. The Advanced Standing program begins in the summer semester. The Full time and Extended Study programs begin in the fall semester.
The Application Process
- Submit your application by completing the following at the Graduate School's web site:
- Graduate School online application
- $60.00 application fee (paid online at the time of your application submission)
- Official transcripts from each institution you have previously attended. Scanned versions of official transcripts of all prior undergraduate and graduate coursework must be uploaded with the online application. If you have attended the University of Tennessee, Knoxville your UT transcripts will already be on file. If you do not upload your transcript(s) with your application, you must have your official transcript(s) mailed directly from the institution(s) to the Graduate Admissions office. Please keep in mind that doing this will delay the processing of your application.
- Scores from Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) if native language is not English.
- Professional Statement - you must upload your professional statement with the online application.
- Three (3) MSSW Reference Evaluation Forms - during the application process applicants will submit the names and emails addresses of three (3) references. These individuals will receive an electronic reference form to complete and return directly to the Office of Graduate Admissions.
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae (CV) must be uploaded with the online application.
International applicants should refer to the Admission Guide for International Graduate Students for additional information.
For complete information regarding the MSSW program, please refer the MSSW Student Handbook.