University of Tennessee, Knoxville Application & Admission
Students must apply to, and be accepted to, the University of Tennessee, Knoxville as well as the College of Social Work. A description of admission requirements for graduate admission to the University of Tennessee can be obtained from: https://gradschool.utk.edu/admissions/applying-to-graduate-school/
The application period begins in October each year and ends the last day of March for the upcoming fall semester.
The Domestic Application Deadline is March 30, however we encourage applicants to apply early as the Admissions Committee starts reviewing applications in January. The College of Social Work welcomes and encourages International applications. Please note the deadline for International applications is February 1.
College of Social Work Admission Requirements
The PhD Program is designed for students who have earned a Master's degree from an accredited school of social work and have post-master's social work/social welfare practice experience. Applicants who do not meet these requirements will need to achieve equivalent credentials as specified by the PhD Admission Committee.
The Application Process
- Submit your application by completing the following at the Graduate School's web site:
- Graduate School online application
- $60.00 application fee (paid online at the time of your application submission)
- Official transcripts of all previous academic work. Scanned versions of official transcripts of all prior undergraduate and graduate coursework must be uploaded with the online application. If you have attended the University of Tennessee, Knoxville your UT transcripts will already be on file. If you do not upload your transcript(s) with your application, you must have your official transcript(s) mailed directly from the institution(s) to the Graduate Admissions office. Please keep in mind that doing this will delay the processing of your application.
- Employment history (resume or vita)
- Professional statement (e.g., professional background and its connection to your research interests, rationale for pursuing a PhD and why at the University of Tennessee, Knoxville College of Social Work, your long-term career goals)
- Writing sample (e.g., term paper from a graduate course, academic publication)
- GRE general test scores.
- Provide the names and email addresses of three (3) references. The references will be contacted by CollegeNet to provide a letter of reference on your behalf.
- International applicants also submit TOEFL scores, a completed International Form, and a completed Financial Statement.
International applicants should refer to the Admissions for International Students page on the Graduate School's web site for additional information.