M.S.S.W. Program Application & Admission
Admissions and Records Office
The Admissions and Records Office for the college is located in Knoxville in Henson Hall. Applications for all three campuses are processed through this office. Applicants indicate the campus in which they are interested on the application form. An applicant may contact this office with questions about the program, the application process, or the status of his or her application (865-974-1096 or via e-mail at email@example.com).
Admission to the M.S.S.W. program is based on the following requirements:
- A bachelor's degree from a college or university accredited by the appropriate regional accrediting agency or foreign equivalent.
- Preparation in the social sciences (at least three-fourths of the undergraduate work should be in the social sciences, humanities, physical sciences, and other liberal arts subjects).
- A liberal arts perspective with course work from at least four
of these five areas:
a. economics or mathematics
b. government, political science, or history
c. sociology or anthropology
e. philosophy, literature, or the arts
- U.S. degree holders must have a minimum GPA of 2.7 out of a possible 4.0 on all undergraduate work and a minimum GPA of 3.0 out of a possible 4.0 on all previous graduate work. Individuals with degrees from foreign institutions must have a minimum of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale on all undergraduate work and a minimum of 3.3 on a 4.0 scale on all previous graduate work. All applicants applying for admission to the Advanced Standing program must have a cumulative undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or higher.
- Personal qualifications acceptable for entrance into the professional practice of social work.
- Current scores from the general section of the GRE (Graduate Record Examination). GRE scores are valid for 5 years.
Preference is given to applicants with a 3.0 cumulative GPA or above in their undergraduate work and with substantial preparation in the social sciences.
- Submit the following items directly to the Office of Graduate and International Admissions:
- Graduate Admissions Application - apply online at http://graduateadmissions.utk.edu/
- Application Fee ($60.00) – pay online when you submit your Graduate Admissions application.
- Transcripts from each institution you have previously attended. Scanned versions of official transcripts of all prior undergraduate and graduate coursework must be uploaded with the online application. If you have attended the University of Tennessee, Knoxville your UT transcripts will already be on file.
- Current scores from the GRE General Exam. Please use institution code 1843 to have your scores sent to UT. GRE scores are valid for five years.
- Scores from Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) if native language is not English.
- Professional Statement – you must upload your professional statement with the online application.
- Three (3) MSSW Reference Evaluation Forms - must be submitted directly to the MSSW Admissions Office.
The mailing address for the MSSW Admissions Office is:
The University of Tennessee
College of Social Work
Office of MSSW Admissions
201 Henson Hall
Knoxville, TN 37996-3333
Applications are accepted after September 1 each year for the following academic year. The priority deadline for receipt of the departmental application is February 1. Applications will still be accepted after the deadline. However, please be sure to submit all application materials as soon as possible.
For complete information regarding the M.S.S.W. program, please refer the the M.S.S.W Student Handbook.