What is Academic Advising?
Academic advising is an integral part of each student’s university experience. Each student is required to meet with an advisor each academic year and is encouraged to spend time with an advisor more frequently than that. Reviewing your academic program with your advisor each semester helps you keep you career at the college on track.
Advising is much more than simply a time to select courses for the next semester; it is an opportunity for you and your advisor to develop and evaluate the academic plans that will enable you to reach your academic goals. Achieving this mission requires a collaborative effort between students and advisors. (Pictured above is BSSW Academic Advisor Amanda Gandy.)
Academic Advising Syllabus
The purpose of academic advising within the College of Social Work is to support, guide, and assist current and prospective undergraduate social work majors with admission and progression, academic planning, career exploration, licensure, and resource referrals both within and outside of the University community. The academic advising syllabus provides a full overview of the purpose and process of academic advising.
Scheduling an Appointment
Current UT students majoring in Social Work – To schedule an appointment with your primary advisor, simply log into MyUTK and click on the GradesFirst link in the UTK Student Academic Links section. Once in the GradesFirst system, click the “Appointments for Advising or Other Academic Help” blue button and then proceed to select The College of Social Work. Directions for using the online appointment scheduling system are linked below.
Current UT students not currently majoring in Social Work – Follow the instructions above. After clicking Appointments for Advising or Other Academic Help blue button, select change major and the College of Social Work.
Prospective students (not enrolled at UT) – Please call the College of Social Work Office at 865-974-3352. Depending on the time of year, we will schedule an information session and/or an individual advising appointment.
How to Prepare for an Advising Appointment
- Review the general education curriculum requirements outlined in the undergraduate catalog
- Review the academic plan and BSSW curriculum guide posted on your GradesFirst profile
- Ensure you are on track to meet progression standards by reviewing your DARs (Degree Audit Report) and your uTrack status (if applicable)
- Make a list of courses you are interested in taking (e.g., General Education courses and electives)
- Prepare a list of questions and/or topics you would like to discuss with your advisor (e.g., study abroad, possible minors that complement a social work major, etc.)
- Follow through on steps discussed with your advisor as well as any action items listed on GradesFirst
- Academic Calendar-Dates and Deadlines
- AP, CLEP, and IB credit
- Career Services
- Major Guide
- On-campus Curriculum Tracks
- Online Curriculum Track 2019-2020
- Language Placement
- Educational Advancement Program
- One Stop Express Student Services
- Study Abroad Information
- Student Success Center
- Transfer Students Frequently Asked Questions
- Transfer Equivalency Tables and Form
- Progression Application
BSSW Advising Staff
105 Henson Hall
Gina Middleton, CPS
Administrative Specialist II
Robert Mindrup, PsyD
Clinical Assistant Professor
Director of BSSW Programs
(865) 974 8109