Cape Town, which dates back to 1482, lies at the African continent’s southern-most point. This marvelously unique city is a cultural melting pot, with a diverse and vibrant population influenced by Zulu, Xhosa, and other African tribes, as well as Dutch, British, German, French, and Indonesian settlers. Due to its natural topography, Cape Town boasts a variety of breathtaking landscapes in which distinct neighborhoods and districts of the city have developed. From the beach houses of Camps Bay to the Bo Kaap Muslim neighborhood at the foot of Lion’s Head Peak, to the highrise apartments of downtown, something new is always just around the corner. The diverse people, landscapes and the exciting cultural history make Cape Town an ideal place to serve and study abroad.
This exciting program will include a service learning experience in Cape Town, South Africa, class discussion time in South Africa, and online instruction prior to the service learning experience. You will have the opportunity to learn about and reflect on your own culture and cultural identities as you learn about the cultures of South Africa.
- 2.7 GPA
- Sophomore level or higher by program start date
- Course Prerequisite: Consent of Instructor
- Dates: July 8 – August 8, 2020
- Courses: Social Work 491 or 540
- Credits: 3
- Faculty Director: Rebecca Jackson, Assistant Professor of Practice: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Where to apply: http://studyabroad.utk.edu
- Deadline: February 3, 2020
The program fee is $4,789. This amount does not include airfare, tuition for the 3-credit hour course, the Study Abroad administrative fee, or personal expenses.